Monday, July 11, 2011

Characteristics of a Talented Stylist

Finding a talented stylist can be difficult. But there are a few characteristics that most talented hair stylist and their salons possess.

Cleanliness of the Salon!!!

I believe a clean and organized salon is essential! When the salon is clean it usually means that the owner and staff have a work flow to maintain a hygienic and sanitized work environment. It also means they are all working together to accomplish this task. What does this mean for you? It means that you have entered a well organized and structured salon.

Excellent Customer Service!!!

Its important to find a salon that offers excellent customer service. Is the receptionist polite? Is the stylist  polite? These qualities will be very important if you choose to make this your "home" salon because you will be visiting the salon and interacting with the staff often.

The Perfect Stylist (for you)!!!

Are you offered a free hair consultation? Does the stylist allow you to ask as many questions as you like? Does he/she offer suggestions or recommendations for your hair type? Does the stylist offer at home care advice? Does every client have the same hair style after leaving the salon? What is the appearance of the stylist's hair? Does the stylist listen to your needs, concerns and/or recommendations regarding your hair?

These are a few questions that I always keep in the back of my mind when visiting a new stylist. I always gage how I feel after I leave the salon. I like to feel like a valued customer. I also like for my stylist to listen to my needs and concerns. At the end of the day, the client is the person that has to look at and maintain any hair style, color or treatment that is given during the salon visit, so I believe the client's input is vital.

The professionalism of a stylist is very important. Does your stylist show up late to your appointments? Does your stylist over book appointments which cause you to wait excessive amounts of time? Personally, I like my stylist to be on time. I also don't mind if my stylist ask to reschedule my appointment if I arrive late to my scheduled appointment. It is important that the stylist value your time and clients should value the time the stylist.

What types of hair does the stylist normally work on? Sometimes, you can tell the field of expertise by the clients waiting in the lobby. If you notice that most people that sit in a stylist chair ask for a particular style such as a two-strand twist, this could be one of the looks your stylist has mastered. It may however not be the only one he/she has mastered. But it is important to pay attention to the type of styles or processes your stylist appears to be giving clients more than others. What types of hair textures does your client work on? Styling wavy curls is very different than styling kinky hair. So make sure that your stylist has experience (extensive) working on your hair type, again, look around the salon and observe the hair textures your stylist frequently works on.

Last but not least, are you satisfied with the final product? If you like the final product, but your stylist is lacking in other areas it may be helpful to communicate your needs to your stylist. Most stylist are open to the concerns of the client and are always looking for ways to improve the service they provide. If your stylist is offended by your concerns or recommendations, this may not be the stylist for you.

These are a few of the things I consider important when choosing a salon and stylist. I hope this helps you find a great stylist in the Dallas area!

1 comment:

  1. I had to move my blog spot.
    Please go to my new blog spot

    www.naturalhairdallas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete